Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Double-Knit Explained

This next bracelet was an experiment in the thinner 26-gauge wire. Thinner wire is more flexible, and so allows for a chain with a smaller diameter, more flexibility, and double- or triple-knit weave.


Double knit looks more dense than single knit. People sometimes think "double" refers to two wires being woven at the same time. It actually means that one wire is wrapped around a "row" twice. I make my loops around my dowel like I would for a single knit, but when I finish going all the way around, I make a second set of loops around the ones I just made. After completing this, I start on another "row."

It can be a tricky technique because it is easier to make a mistake in the bramble of wire it makes! But I enjoyed the challenge, and maybe someday I will even try triple knit.


Check out my next blog to learn more about how I finished this piece.

2 comments:

  1. friend, your doing the double knit the super hard way.. you dont have to go around twice, you simply do your weave on every second knot :) a simple youtube search will show what i mean.. i wish i could upload a picture here, of the one im working on right now.. its about 3 ft long now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the way I was taught to go around twice, and it works well for me, but I'd love to see what this other method is! Do share a link or photos, if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete